1. Making jokes that are hilarious to me & so lame to my 10th graders.
2. Having 10th graders.
3. Being done with HR paperwork.
4. Decorating my classroom. I’m so into office supplies.
5. Learning cool new slang, using it, and ruining it for my students.
6. My students’ jokes. It will be tough, though, to cease laughing at my students’ use of “That’s What She Said.”
7. Talking about books.
8. Extra-curricular events.
I’m starting to see that I am really revealing myself to be a huge nerd. What’s worse is that I’m pretty alright with that.
The truth is, I am silently freaking out. About paperwork, about when I will have time to do what, about being ready for the first day, about other teachers liking me, about standardized test prep… and about my students’ attitudes.
There are moments, like today, when I was getting the books I’ll be teaching, that I am so excited I almost actually squeal.
There are moments when I am terrified of something happening and not knowing what to do.
There are moments when I panic about getting things done, doing them right, and everything actually coming together.
There are moments when I am so ready to be here, in this new apartment, with this new job.
There are moments when I feel the wave of regret of leaving where I left, who I left, the job I left, the students and former students I left.
Will it be better or worse? Did I just fuck something up?